Holy cow this is delicious!
Chef Yapo's Fun-Dido for Cinco de Mayo!
· 1 poblano pepper, halve & de-seed
· 1 red bell pepper, halve, de-seed, remove ribs
· 1 jalapeno pepper, halve, de-seed, remove ribs
· 1 lbs. pork chorizo, skinless
· ½ cup white onion, small diced
· 1 cup favorite Mexican lager style beer
· 2 lbs. Oaxaca (Wha-HaKa) cheese, shredded
· 2 lbs. Machengo cheese, shredded
· 1 TBSP or to taste, Mexican hot sauce (Cholula, Tapatio…)
· 1 cup Mexican crema
· 1 lime, juiced
· ½ cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
· ¼ cup cilantro, minced
Add peppers on sheet pan skin side up under broiler and allow to char black, 5 minutes. Add peppers to Ziplock, blow air to inflate, seal and set aside for 3 minutes.
With paper towel, wipe blackened skin off peppers. Then under running water remove any leftover skin. Thinly slice poblano, dice jalapeno and red bell pepper, set aside.
In sauté pan, cook chorizo on medium high heat for 3 minutes, add onion, stir occasionally to get bits of caramelization, 5 more minutes. Drain off any oil and set aside.
In sauce pot, add beer bring to boil then lower to simmer and reduce by half, 4 to 5 minutes
With a wooden spoon, add handful of Oaxaca and Machengo cheese, gently stir until melted, add next handful and repeat until done. Mix in hot sauce and hold warm through service. The texture should remind you of lava or molten… the actual translation of Fundido from Spanish to English!!!
In bowl, mix crema with lime juice and pinch of salt, set aside.
Add peppers to cheese and mix well. Pour cheese into a wide bowl for service.
Pile chorizo in the middle of the cheese.
Drizzle circle of crema on the cheese around the chorizo.
Top with Cotija & cilantro and serve with bag Juanita’s corn tortilla chips.
Enjoy this molten… FUN--DIDO!!!
Hit up our guy Chef Yapo at Yaposhomecatering.com for all your catering needs!