Mission Fed ArtWalk is back for its 38th year bringing a weekend-long, FREE premiere arts and culture event to San Diego’s Little Italy on Saturday, April 30 and Sunday, May 1. The festival attracts locals and visitors to San Diego’s Little Italy giving all an opportunity to meet more than 250 local, national and international artists and purchase art directly from the creators. The largest and longest-running arts festival in Southern California showcases every medium of art including painting, sculpture, glass work, photography, fine jewelry and more.
- Saturday, April 30 from 11am - 6pm
- Sunday, May 1 from 10am - 5pm
“We are thrilled to reach the amazing milestone of bringing this fine art festival to the San Diego community and connect San Diegans and visitors to a sea of talented fine artists from all over the US, Mexico and beyond for 38 years running,” said Curt Brooker, Director of ArtWalk San Diego. “Mission Fed ArtWalk has become a time-honored tradition that encourages everyone to explore different facets of artistic expression and enjoy the friendly environment whether you are an art buff or just beginning to build collection.”
Below is a list of new and unique elements coming to Mission Fed ArtWalk this year:
- Interactive Art Activities | Express yourself with interactive art activities available throughout the weekend made possible by Artist & Craftsman and Blick Art Materials. On Saturday, make a sun-catcher design with Artist & Craftsman using Pinata Alcohol inks on polyester sheets. There will also be additional items available to add texture to the design, distort the color of the ink, and refract light. On Sunday, make your own block print with Blick Art Materials using techniques including linoleum relief block printing and silkscreen screen printing. Attendees will be able to choose from premade designs and shapes or cut their own.
- Live Music | The weekend will feature over two dozen live performances on three different stages located at the intersection of Beech & India, the Piazza Basilone and the Piazza della Famiglia. Each stage will feature 4-5 performances each day from various local musicians including Evan Diamond, Enter the Blue Sky, and Robin Henkel. Plus, this year will feature a special a Gator by the Bay themed stage at the Piazza della Famiglia featuring a fabulous lineup of NOLA-style music. Check out the full lineup here.
- Vinyl Art Auction | This year’s Mission Fed ArtWalk will also feature an art vinyl record benefiting ArtReach San Diego, a nonprofit organization aimed at increasing equity in visual arts education in K-8 schools throughout San Diego County by delivering free or low cost workshops to schools that have no other resources for art. Over 100 vinyl records will be designed by participating artists including several well-known artists based here in San Diego and a group of 9th-12th grade student artists from a local school.
- KidsWalk | Several art organizations throughout San Diego are coming out to support KidsWalk activities this year, helping to bring hands-on art experiences to kids. Activities include drawing with Monart School of Art, photography with the Museum of Photographic Arts, experiment with out-of-the-box materials with the Museum of Contemporary Art, and many more!
- Street Food | Some of San Diego’s most delectable food and beverage vendors will be set up throughout the weekend serving up an eclectic array of bites and sips from tacos and pretzels to ice cream and sausages including Bamboo Hut, House of Bao, The Mac Shack, Mariposa Ice Cream, Maui Wowi, Sabor Piri Piri, and Tarantino Gourmet Sausages.
Mission Fed ArtWalk attracts 120,000 art collectors and visitors from all over the country to purchase art from established and emerging artists during the two-day festival located throughout San Diego’s Little Italy neighborhood. Attendance is free and more information can vbe found at www.artwalksandiego.org.